Perhaps my favourite band of all time although I actually haven't had a big chill session to them recently as I have had my attention elsewhere, which will probably be the band I choose to countdown next week. However, I'm here to talk about JBT. The beautiful, electric-acoustic, folk and roots musicians straight out of Austraaaalia.
They have been around for quite a while but apart from the main man himself (John Charles Butler), the lineup of musicians within the band itself has differed and shifted from time to time. With the original members alongside Butler being a drummer by the name of Jason McGann and on bass - Gavin Shoesmith. Eventually, after multiple changes, the band has ended up with a lineup consisting of Nicky Bomba on drums and Byron Luiters... Bomba is also quite a well known musician in Australia anyway, due to him having his own band before JBT, plus the other little known fact is that he is the brother of John Butler's wife - an artist known as Mama Kin (who you will hear a little later on).
Seeing as the band has gone through many changes, the sound of each album has had changes. But only minor changes, mainly down to JB being the producer on basically all of the songs on each album.
The list of albums are as follows;
- John Butler
- Three
- Sunrise Over Sea
- Grand National
- April Uprising
I guess I'd better move onto my list then, seeing as I have given you a fair share to read. Would only be kind of me to enable you to use your ears now instead :)
7.
Daniella
This is from the album 'Grand National' and it's about, well basically... "Daniella" who is his wife. It's a simple meaning, singing about how much he loves her but even if it is a personal song. You just cannot deny the brilliance of the musicianship going on in the song.
6.
Zebra
From the album 'Sunrise Over Sea', it's classic JBT with catchy riffs and John Butler sneaking in a bit of scat type singing. It's all about opposites, opposing forces and how they aren't really against each other but working together and how you can be either if you really want to - as it's your choice. The song name choice? Down to the age old debate of "is a Zebra black with white stripes or white with black stripes" haha.
5.
I'd Do Anything
'I'd Do Anything' is from the newest album, released back in 2010 called April Uprising. The full name of the song actually features in brackets (Soldier's Lament). Meaning Soldier's deep regret, which makes the song self explanatory when hearing the lyrics, it's about a soldier away from his love and wanting to be with her so badly, that he'd do anything to be with her. It's a sentimental reason in which I love this song, and it's between me and someone very special. Although it is about a soldier, I think all people when away from the one they love can understand what it's like to want to be with them so much but yet at times, you can't.
4.
What You Want
Another song off of 'Sunrise Over Sea' and it's fairly similar in meaning to 'I'd Do Anything' but is a bit more broader based. Everyone has experienced that moment where they have fallen out with someone they love, just purely based on the fact you are both apart from each other and it's starting to get hard just communicating over the phone. One of the reasons I truly indulge in this song so much is down to the kick-ass intro and backing track that features some heavy smooth violin playing.
3.
Funky Tonight
'Funky Tonight' is what happens when you mix roots, funk and rock. Incredible music and something that makes you want to dance 'til you are pretty much dead. It's from the album 'Grand National' and from a comment in which JB said a while back, he claimed it was about trying to recapture the spark in a relationship you had when you first met each other. It's hard to tell if that is exactly what he is trying to do in the song because he met his wife in "1999" which he mentions in the song as well. But I guess that's whats great about music, mixing fact and fiction together.
2.
Losing You
First released on 'Grand National' as just a JBT song. It has recently been re-released as a duet between JB and Mama Kin. The reason behind the duet was to raise funds for a charity in Australia, and the original intent of the song was to be a love song. I think it's one of the most pure love songs I have heard and doesn't venture off into confusing figments of lyrics, it's plain and simple - he doesn't care about anything but all he really minds is losing her. I chose to put up the duet, for the sole reason of it being between JB and his wife, I think you get a real purpose of the song, especially when you see them looking at each other singing.
1.
Peaches & Cream
The finest song in terms of dedication towards someone in my eyes among all songs. Released on the album 'Sunrise Over Sea'. The video I put up basically explains the song, with the explanation coming from the man himself - John Butler. How all the bad things in the world were corrected ever so slightly when his baby girl arrived in the world and how he now looks at his cup "half full" rather than "half empty". It's a beautiful song and I could listen to it all day.
BONUS
I decided that I would put up a bonus song as well, seeing as it was an instrumental and pretty much captures any emotion you want to feel at the time of listening. Which in turn, would basically overcloud any actual song with lyrics. So yeah, here it is;
Ocean
The video clip above is from July 7th, 2011. A gig at Manchester Academy in which I attended, recorded on someones phone and put up on YouTube by some kind chap. To me it is the greatest piece of music I have ever heard. Whether that be recorded in a studio or hearing it live... It brings up so many emotions, emotions which should conflict with each other; yet when listening to it they all mesh and become this overpowering feeling and thought that brings a tear to my eye. Upon hearing it live, being there in the crowd and witnessing this masterclass of guitar playing I felt pure happiness and sadness at the same time. If I had no self-control that night, I could quite easily have shed a tear. But instead I held them back and just admired. Yes, he does have unusually long nails, but if that makes him play that much better then I couldn't care less.
I plead that anyone reading this, please listen to the full version of it. Even if it means you never take anymore recommendations of music off of me ever again. This is the sort of thing that I can truly listen to and say "I love music".
John Butler Trio, I salute you.
The video clip above is from July 7th, 2011. A gig at Manchester Academy in which I attended, recorded on someones phone and put up on YouTube by some kind chap. To me it is the greatest piece of music I have ever heard. Whether that be recorded in a studio or hearing it live... It brings up so many emotions, emotions which should conflict with each other; yet when listening to it they all mesh and become this overpowering feeling and thought that brings a tear to my eye. Upon hearing it live, being there in the crowd and witnessing this masterclass of guitar playing I felt pure happiness and sadness at the same time. If I had no self-control that night, I could quite easily have shed a tear. But instead I held them back and just admired. Yes, he does have unusually long nails, but if that makes him play that much better then I couldn't care less.
I plead that anyone reading this, please listen to the full version of it. Even if it means you never take anymore recommendations of music off of me ever again. This is the sort of thing that I can truly listen to and say "I love music".
John Butler Trio, I salute you.
If you have read this entire blog and listened to a song I have posted, then thankyou for putting up with me. And I hope you enjoyed it...
Jake.
"There you are. Right in front of me, A brand new day, Sunrise Over Sea. No longer, My cup half empty."


These guys sound quite awesome. I've never really listened to them. I like Peaches and Cream- the lyrics are just beautiful. Also Zebra sounds pretty good. The video for Funky Tonight is awesome and it certainly made me want to dance lol.
ReplyDeleteMy internet is a bit shit so I cant listen to the full songs, might have a download session instead. :)
They aren't a very well known band, but massive over in Australia. Funky Tonight is one of those songs that I just want to get drunk and dance to... Their songs are always full of good vibes and a big majority of their songs, especially on the newest album, is aimed at the government in Australia but they never put it right infront of your face. Which I think is a good thing, not having to listen to overly controversial songs all the time...
ReplyDeleteIf you are going to download albums, I'd download Grand National, Sunrise Over Sea and April Uprising. Then if you like them, download the other 2.
Really good songs that I didn't mention are;
- Revolution, One Way Road, Close To You, Better Than, Fire In The Sky, Good Excuse, Groovin' Slowly, Nowhere Man, Used To Get High, Bound To Ramble, Hello, Seeing Angels, Treat Yo Mama, Betterman and Money.