There is a fact for you. A strange start to a post? Most probably. But what I'm trying to get at, is that the world is so much bigger than just you, myself or any other Joe Bloggs. If chickens had the capabilities, and even if they could be bothered, I suppose, they could make a real effort of world domination. Thanfully they are pretty much stupid and instead we butcher around 7 billion of the little egg laying fellas each year.
To the chickens, everything is quaint and routinely the same each and every day; they never make a fuss and are only focused on whatever they themselves are doing and not what your average businessman makes a year.
Despite this post looking like a way of preaching against the killing of innocent chickens, it is actually nothing to do with some kooky-ass plan to save every hen all the way down to the last feather. I'm trying to state how chickens seem to believe the world revolves around them, that there is nothing else important and that the day starts with their ridiculous screeching and ends with their heads on a meat board. It is a lot like us humans... We carry on each day acting as if something on the other side of the world is irrelevant and just doesn't figure in our daily lives.
Why should we? We have our homes, warmth and food. It's perfectly logical to not consider a more mundane destination than the pleasant territory in which we live. However... The world is bigger than us, almost everything is out of our control. The growth of crops in a southern state of America and the time that the sun rises in Japan.
It was only until recently that I was oblivious to this. Well I say "oblivious" but I reckon it was more a dominant ignorance to anything that I had no control over. For a long time, I too like many others, felt no need to care about certain facts of life. Cancer? Why should I care if I don't have it. Raising a family? I'm still apart of one, it's no big deal. Times changing and effecting everything around me? Well heck, I'm staying the same. However in the past weeks I have seen those issues come to the forefront in not only my life but others too; with some issues concerning those I know very closely.
One of my best friends, only recently in last couple of days, welcomed a child into the world. I have witnessed (not firsthand, that's weird) the birth of my sister, 2 brothers and a couple of cousins but there is something much more alarming than when it is a very close friend.
The funny things about friends are that you would do anything to protect them... You would do anything for them, because they are your friends. Not family but damn close to it. Then they all get girlfriends and well, the girlfriends then become apart of this friend-created family. You would do as much for your friend's girlfriends/fiancée as you would for your actual friend. I believe this right down to the last word, but it's rare you ever really do something because when you have hardly any money, neither does your friend. You are both in the same boat and on equal ground, all you can really do is give some friendly advice and tell them you're there for them no matter what.
Once a child enters the fray, all of that changes rapidly. I found myself wanting to do more, be there for them so much more and do anything you possibly could to let them know they aren't on their own. Because if a friend is just like your own flesh and blood, and you are both who you are today because of each other, then their child is instantly apart of your friend-created family. When they are not able to do something, you want to attempt to help. Even if it is something small like taking the child to the cinema in the near future to see the sequel to The Avengers (I hope you are reading this Andi).
I'm still a member of my family, I haven't yet broke off to create my own yet but that's okay because I am in no rush to. In a few years maybe, but right now I am so happy to have a new member of my closest family.
Before ending this post, I just wanted to reflect on something I spoke with one of my best friends about last week in the pub. We tried to rewind all the way back about 5 or 6 years and see how we could be where we are now in our lives because of something I might have done to influence the shift. We spoke of how, quite possibly, my choice of drinking a glass of water/cordial shaped 'our' world and set off a course of events which would lead us to where we are now. Yes choices were made before and after, but we found that to be the defining moment. It led to some bad moments, some incredibly low moments but it's created some fantastic moments and in years to come, I am sure that I will look back and think how it was the best glass of water I have ever decided to drink.
Also, you should still worry about chickens taking over. Scary.
"You took the tunnel route home, you've never taken that way with me before. Did you feel the need for change?"

No comments:
Post a Comment